RE: Tetanurae, etc.

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> John R. Hutchinson
>
> Hi,
>       Fun SVP meeting.  Quick, trivial question: Are members of Tetanurae
> properly called tetanurans or tetanurines?  Or what?  I've it differently
> in several places and am not sure why.

Both are acceptable: Gauthier prefers "tetanurine" (which is more in keeping
with the traditional spellings of "ornithurine" for Ornithurae and
"saururine" for Saururae).  On the other tail, "tetanuran" seems closer to
the original in form.

> Ditto for Avialae -- avialans or
> avialians?  Avialines?  Avialidinians?   Oh my.

Gauthier uses "avialian", I believe.  Avialidinians is right out...

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite