Re: Specific names

In a message dated 10/18/99 9:32:11 AM EST, znc14@TTACS.TTU.EDU writes:

<< On a different point, regarding the suggestion that _Maiasaura
 peeblesorum_ ought to be changed to _Maiasaura peebls*A*rum_: Our local bevy
 of latinophiles believe that the proposed change is inappropriate, as the
 specific epithet is a *noun* in the genetive plural, not an adjective. >>

The ICZN specifies the masculine genitive plural ending "orum" if there is at
least one male among the persons being honored; "arum" only if there is no
male among the persons being honored. This exhibits a bit of a gender bias
against "arum," but there's (as far as I know) no neuter genitive plural
ending that might serve when the honored persons belong to both sexes.