Re: Beta Keratin

-----Original Message-----
From: Casey <Tuckercj@muohio.edu>
To: larryf@capital.net <larryf@capital.net>
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: Beta Keratin

>Schweitzer, M.H., J.A. Watt, R. Avci, L. Knapp, L. Chiappe, M. Norell &
>M.
>Marshall.  1999.  Beta-keratin specific immunological reactivity in
>feather-like structures of the Cretaceous alvarezsaurid, _Shuvuuia
>deserti_.
>Journal of Experimental Zoology (Mol Dev Evol) 285: 146-157.

Thanks for that ref Casey!

Does anyone know if similar research is being proposed, or carried out (by
Schweitzer or others) on other "feathered dinos" (or perhaps on........
pterosaurian fibers)? I`d like to know if the beta keratin in all these is
similar or has undergone evolutionary change or if any clues might be found
at the molecular level as to the closeness (or not) of their phylogenitic
relationships.

How does beta keratin vary in modern birds? (any references available in
this field?)

TIA....Larry F.