Re: Feathered dinos

In a message dated 10/27/99 3:02:00 PM EST, NJPharris@aol.com writes:

<< I don't know if I should be the first to mention it, but it was suggested
 numerous times at SVP that Archaeoraptor is itself a chimaera.
Specifically,
 the head looks (to me) dromaeosaurid or troodontid, the torso like that of a
 bird, and the feet like a tiny avimimid or mononykine.  The tail looks like
 rather unnatural long, stiff rod. >>

Why is it that any fossil that doesn't fit the cladogram/theory of the day is
called a chimera? Not to say Archaeoraptor is or isn't one, just that this
particular excuse is getting a little overworked (Protoavis, Avimimus,
Rahonavis, etc.).