RE: Feathered dinos

Other way round: _Rahonavis_ fits happily cladistically as a basal bird,
whereas Martin & the Feducciaries are calling it (the News item in the same
issue of Science where it was published, at the SICB conference and
elsewhere) a chimera: they claim the forelimb material does not belong to
the rest of the animal.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742