Archaeoraptor - last thoughts for now

Some last thoughts about "Archaeoraptor" (an INFORMAL name, despite it being
in italics in National Geographic, since to my knowledge it has not yet been
published):

This specimen first reared its head at a rock show in the U.S. (Tuscon, I
think).
Even from the photographs it is apparent that the specimen consists of
several slabs attached together: this happens sometimes in thinly-bedded
rocks (such as the Yixian Fm. shales).
There have been confirmed modified specimens (okay, fakes) from the Yixian
in the past: Tim Rowe's talk about _Confuciusornis_ demonstrated the great
potential for CAT scans for finding evidence of such modification.

I'm off to see the critter shortly.  I'm vastly more interested in seeing
_Sinornithosaurus_ and _Beipiaosaurus_, though!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite