Re: Tracing the origins of an SVP urban legend...

In a message dated 10/28/99 8:04:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes:

> I think it would be fair to say that Brochu's presentation revealed the
>  so-called nasal turbinates in "Nanotyrannus" are most likely part of the
>  internal wall of the maxillary antrum instead.  However, Brochu made some
>  important observations calling into question the identification of the
nasal
>  passage of "Nanotyrannus" in the work of Ruben et al.

Suffice it to say that tyrannosaur nasal passages are in reality ENORMOUS,
with ample room for cartilaginous turbinates.

Same goes for hadrosaurs, ceratopids, ankylosaurs, and macronarian sauropods.

Thanks, Chris, for a really informative and fascinating talk!

--Nick P.