Re: ARCHAEORAPTOR

In a message dated 10/28/99 4:32:58 PM EST, am_shaad@hotmail.com writes:

<< Am I to undersatnd correctly that ths Archaeoraptor really is a fake?>>

Didn't call it a fake; just said that if a specimen (any specimen) is a fake,
one should call it a fake rather than a "chimera" or some other such
wishy-washy term.

<< I have heard about (1) somebody spreading bad rumors about Dr Holtz, (2)
 somebody pretending to be dale Russell (3) Chinese farmers selling fake
 fossils.>>

Haven't heard any bad rumors about Tom recently.

Saw a fake post supposedly from Dale Russell on the vert paleo list in which
he says he is resigning his position in North Carolina for personal reasons.
This post is definitely a fake; Dale is happily ensconced in North Carolina
and still wondering why anyone would send such a post to the vert paleo list.

At SVP heard of at least one "feathered lizard" fossil being offered for sale
from China. Not a dino, a lizard. Tim Rowe's SVP talk with CT scans of a
phonied-up Chinese Confuciusornis specimen was enlightening.

<< How things have changed since the days of Marsh and Cope!!! >>

Haven't changed much at all. You should see what Marsh did to some of his
specimens to make them look good.