Re: Comparing T-rex to pterosaurs was (Re: pterosaur tracks from SVP)

Are you forgetting the rather stiff wings sticking to the rear of the
pterosaurs?  These would not have been neatly folded into thirds and
tucked into the body as birds do.  They'd stick out (to the rear) from
the wrist at nearly a full extension length on each side.  The
wingfinger struts probably acted as much as a counter balance to this
animal's front end as the tail of T rex did to it's front end -bipedally
or quadrepedally.

Your comment about animals with reduced tails may be more reason to
beleive these animals were quadrepedal. (and the quadrepedal tracks, of
course.)

One note of interest from the talk -they couldn't get a rhemphoryncinoid
of any type to walk succesfully in ANY of the 3 postures, only
pterosaurs.
The long tail was a problem in ALL postures they've tried.

-Betty

--
Flying Goat Graphics
http://www.flyinggoat.com