Re: Comparing T-rex to pterosaurs was (Re: pterosaur tracks from SVP)

-----Original Message-----
From: dbensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
To: bettyc@flyinggoat.com <bettyc@flyinggoat.com>
Cc: Martin Barnett <martin.barnett3@virgin.net>; dinosaur@usc.edu
<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Saturday, October 30, 1999 11:41 AM
Subject: Re: Comparing T-rex to pterosaurs was (Re: pterosaur tracks from
SVP)

>>(snipt)

>>One note of interest from the talk -they couldn't get a rhemphoryncinoid
>of any type to walk succesfully in ANY of the 3 postures, only
>pterosaurs.
>The long tail was a problem in ALL postures they've tried.<<
>Are rhemphoryncioid tails stiff or floppy?
>
>Dan

There`s a nice diagram on pg 51 Wellnhofer`s fabulous book on Pterosaurs
showing Rhamporhynchus tails to have long stiffening bony rods extending
from the caudal vertebrae. Also, the chevrons have such bony extensions
making the atils quite stif in comparisson to the Pterodactyloid structure
where the short tails are not stiffened at all.
The rhamphorynchoid tail was able to move at the base, and possibly aided in
steering.

Possible exception would be the pterodactyl with the "pygostyle"
(Anurognathus,....if I rhyhmemphbor correctly...8^)