Re: ZEPHYROSAURUS -- Does anyone know of data...?

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:06:06 -0400 "RAY STANFORD" <STARSONG@prodigy.net>
writes:
[snip]
>    DOES ANYONE OF YOU 'OUT THERE' KNOW WHETHER SUFFICIENT
>ZYPHYROSAURUS
>MATERIAL HAS NOW BEEN RECOVERED FOR US TO DETERMINE WHETHER
>ZEPHYROSAURUS
>HAD A SMALLER MANUS, AS COMPARED TO ITS PES,  THAN DID >HYPSILOPHODON?

   The Museum of the Rockies has a partial skeleton referred to *Zephy*,
and lists dimensions of various bones belonging to it in its paleo
department web site.
  Listed dimensions of pes and manus include:
                 MT III (right): 96.3 (unit not listed, but I'm guessing
millimeters)
                 MT I (r): 56.6 [mm]
                 MT I (left): 55.3 [mm]
                 MT V (l): 30 [mm]
                 ?MC II (?r): 7.8 [mm]
  If these dimensions are right, and the rest of the manus and pes are
similar in proportion to *Hypsil*, I would say it has a very small manus
relative to pes.  According to my rough calculations, *Hypsil* has a
ratio of MC II to MT III is about 1 to 4, while *Zephy* is less than 1 to
10, if the bone identified as MC II really is MC II.
-*Thescelosaurus*