Re: sauropod killers

--- Jordan Mallon <j_mallon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there been some
> YPM _Deinonychus_ quarry
> fossil matrial associated with _Tenontosaurus_?  I
> realize this doesn't
> totally support the notion of pack-hunting for _D.
> antirrhopus_, but I also
> wouldn't be surprised if the remians were indeed
> those of an organized flock
> feeding upon _Tenontosaurus_.  This picture has very
> often been depicted.

At the risk of raising an odious old thread, let me
just say that we should be careful about our
terminology.  "Packhunting" is not a behavior.  It is
a complex *suite* of behaviors (with considerable
variety from packhunting species to species) employed
by an infinitesmally small percentage of extant
animals.

(In my opinion, these animals usually have it down
pretty much to an art, choose their prey very
carefully (unless extreme conditions force them to
take risks), and so don't generally lose one (let
alone four) of their number taking their prey.  The
object of the game is to survive.  Dinosaur didn't go
to war, they ate.)

And let's remember as well that Delgado's books are
comic books.  Looking to them for an analysis of
dinosaur behavior is like examining Pikachu's behavior
to see how some animals use electricity to hunt....

As an aside, I'm intrigued by the notion that some
theropods may have eaten by stealing bites out of live
sauropods rather than killing, then eating them, a
daunting proposition to be sure when your prey laughs
at an elephant's small size.  Has anyone proposed
this?

=====
Larry

"I've been ionized, but I'm OK now."