Re: sauropod killers

Jordan Mallon wrote :
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there been some YPM _Deinonychus_
quarry
> fossil matrial associated with _Tenontosaurus_?  I realize this doesn't
> totally support the notion of pack-hunting for _D. antirrhopus_, but I
also
> wouldn't be surprised if the remians were indeed those of an organized
flock
> feeding upon _Tenontosaurus_.  This picture has very often been depicted.

Absolutely right ! There have been several instances of D. antirrhopus
being found in association with T.tilletti . There are far too many
variable scenarios to conclusively state that D.antirrhopus(or any other
theropod) congregated in packs . Check the archives for many lively debates
concerning this very subject . While I tend to support some group behavior
, the fact of the matter is that the fossil record cannot indisputably
confirm pack behavior . You can speculate , theorize , etc.
but that's as far as It will go . Until someone invents a time machine , I
don't think the issue will be laid to rest . Additionally , beware of
assigning extant animal behavior to long extinct animals !
Regards ,
Truett Garner