Re: sauropod killers

Larry Dunn wrote :
> As an aside, I'm intrigued by the notion that some
> theropods may have eaten by stealing bites out of live
> sauropods rather than killing, then eating them, a
> daunting proposition to be sure when your prey laughs
> at an elephant's small size.  Has anyone proposed
> this?

Larry ,
This notion has a lot of merit , especially in view of the possibility that
some theropods may have had an extremely septic bite , similar to the
Komodo Dragon . Sounds like a relatively safe and cost-effective means of
obtaining a meal . The question is how do you demonstrate this behavior
without running into some of the same problems associated with
proving/disproving "pack behavior" , etc.
Regards ,
Truett Garner