Re: Graves museum exhibits

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/1/00 2:46:51 PM EST, bettyc@flyinggoat.com writes:
>
> << how can you display a 'brontosaur' skull? isn't the name unavailable for
>  use on a new species? >>
>
> "Brontosaur" is a vernacular term that denotes a sauropod or a prosauropod.
> With Segnosauria out of Sauropodomorpha, the taxon Brontosauria in my
> classification becomes a synonym of Sauropodomorpha (and, I think, a more
> convenient name).

Since DinoGeorge's Brontosauria is essentially Prosauropoda + Sauropoda, I
have on the Dinosauricon cladistically translated it as a node containing
the stem-based groups Prosauropoda and Sauropoda (as defined by Wilson and
Sereno, respectively anchored by _Plateosaurus_ and _Saltasaurus_). Thus
Brontosauria would be a group containing advanced sauropodomorphs,
possibly excluding things like _Thecodontosaurus_.

-- T. Michael Keesey .................................. <tmk@dinosauricon.com>
   My Worlds (including The Dinosauricon) ... <http://dinosauricon.com/keesey>
   AOL Instant Messenger ........................................ <Ric Blayze>