Re: sauropod killers

--- "King, Norm R" <NKing@usi.edu> wrote:

> Imagine what it would be like if you tried to eat a
> live cow, one bite at a
> time.  Or a marlin--you land it on the boat, then
> take one bite at a time
> while it's slashing around on the deck.  I don't
> think either approach would
> work well.

Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Seriously though, my thought was not that of a
theropod eating the thing down to the bone bite by
bite.  It was more like taking one bite and, well,
that's it.

Pay me $50 to take a single bite out of your marlin
and I just might do it, Norm.  Pay me $50 to go bite
the thing to death, then eat it, and I might not do
it, even though I'd get a better meal (mercury and
all).

I'm certainly not imagining that as the sole method of
obtaining food, or even the primary method.  But it
would do now and then, I'd imagine.  I remember a
Hallett illustration from a National Geo of a few
years back depicting hungry theropods doing just this
to a juvenile sauropod.

I also recall that some species of bird flys around
munching on cows (?) in a similar fashion (although
maybe I dreamed that; I'll check with my therapist).

That might even explain the "Paluxy jump" (sorry Jim
Farlow).

Well, enough crackpot theorizing for today.

=====
Larry

"I've been ionized, but I'm OK now."