RE: Feathering in coelurosaurs

First, I wrote:
>even the larger forms like T.rex could have sported some form of showy
feathers

To which martinh replied:
Given that we are looking at an animal several metres tall, I would think
that the skin surface would offer plenty of "canvas" for display, without
the need for feathers as well.

Note that large dinos such as _Torosaurus_ also had plenty of "canvas" surface area, but instead it developed a huge frill as a means of display. Also, today's modern elephants have plenty of surface area that could be used as a sexual "billboard" but they make no use of it. Simply because a certain animal has a lot of skin doesn't mean it will use it as a means of display. So, despite having a large flank, tyrannosaurs could have still sported a least _some_ type of feathery integument (perhaps around the head or something).
But, as an aside, note that there has been tyrannosaur skin impressions found in Alberta that may have a completely neutralizing effect on what I just said (see: http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/trex/skin.htm).
Man, I hope that made sense. It's hard to word things right when you're in a rush to get your homework done.

- Jordan Mallon