Re: sauropod killers

bruceshillinglaw@netzero.net wrote:
>I don't know of any extant tetrapods which exhibit this
> behavior, although I have heard that tickbirds occasionally snack on bits of
> loose flesh of injured animals.

To take an extreme tangent from the original thread: I've seen footage of an
injured rhino bathing a large wound in a pond or stream, with small tortoises
congregating around the wound and taking small bites of the exposed flesh. The
rhino didn't seem annoyed enough to leave the water. Perhaps it was even using
the tortoises in the way that surgeons now use maggots, to remove any necrotised
flesh to prevent infection.

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia