Re: Feathering in coelurosaurs

-----Original Message-----
From: Jordan Mallon <j_mallon@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Monday, April 03, 2000 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: Feathering in coelurosaurs

>As has already been mentioned, it isn't necessarily a question of
metabolism
>(although the presence of feathers would certainly indicate perhaps some
>type of insulation for "warm-blooded" dinosaurs).  Feathers may have simply
>served the purpose in dinosaurs of acting as diplay devices, useful for
>attracting mates.  If this was indeed the case for the coelurosaurs, then
>even the larger forms like T.rex could have sported some form of showy
>feathers (in fact, I would imagine the young juveniles' feathers would have
>developed into quite an elegant display by the time the animal reached
>sexual maturity.  Perhaps turning from a dull shade of grey to a bright
>orange or something).
>
>- Jordan Mallon

Why would predatory dinosaurs have showy feathers??? I would think they
would need all the camouflage they could get, in order to ambush
prey.(unless of course, the prey was colorblind). Do any modern raptors (ie.
eagles, hawks etc.)  have bright coloration? I`m no bird expert, but perhaps
the modern birds that are colorful, can manage to avoid the predators with
color vision due to superior maneuverability. (or distaste??...what protects
parrots? canopy cover??)

They Prey would also tend to be uncolorful to hide from the predators. Sorry
to paint such a drab picture, but it dosen`t seem to make sense for them to
be all that "showy".
Maybe some of the smaller, faster ones had colorful plumage. (That would
also make more sense from the "heat retention" arguement for them to be the
candidates for plumage of any kind).