Re: Feathering in coelurosaurs

>Just to throw my hat in the ring here:
>
>Does anyone know of a large reptile that is brightly colored or even
>colorful?  As far as I know, crocs, large snakes (Anacondas, boids, etc.),
>Galapagos turtles, and the like are all relatively dull colored animals,

Erk...last time I checked large snakes (pythons, boas) were amongst the
most gaudily coloured/patterned of all animals. Just looking at a
Reticulated, Burmese or Carpet python is enough to space me out, although
of course in their natural environs these markings provide cryptic
camoflague. Many of the larger varanid species (ignoring the rather boring
Komodo Dragon), particularly from Australia are not too shabby. Australia's
largest lizards, the Perentie (Varanus giganteus) along with certain
specimens of Lace Monitor (V. varius) are magnificently coloured. As for
crocodilians, I remember seeing a particularly attractive orange specimen
of the caiman Paleosuchus palpebrosus (though admittedly this is one of the
smallest of crocodilians...)

Cheerio
Brian Choo