Re: Ichthyosaurus (was Feathering in coelurosaurs)

A little while back wasn't there also something about being able to tell an organism's color through some test or another (doggonit- don't remember the details.) Anyway, I thought they claimed to have deduced the color of a fossil fish with this procedure. Does anyone remember what that was all about?

M. Nalasco

From: AM Yates <Adam.Yates@bristol.ac.uk>
To: dbensen <dbensen@gotnet.net>
CC: mbonnan@hotmail.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Ichthyosaurus (was Feathering in coelurosaurs)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:43:21 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, dbensen wrote:

> I'd like to use this opportunity to bring up something that's been puzzling me.
> Wasn't there something a while back about actualy knowing the coloration of
> Ichthyosaurus. In the book Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals (primarily by
> Dougal Dixon) it says, "The remains of pigment cells have also been preserved
> and the analysis of these suggests that the smooth, thick skin of Ichthyosaurus
> was a dark reddish-brown color in life." What ever became of that theory? Is
> it still valid?

I doubt it very much. I recall that taphonomic work has shown that the
so called soft-tissue preservation was actually an algal mat that grew
at the interface between the carcass and the sediment it was lying on.
If this was true I would think that ther preservation of pigment would
be extremely unlikely.

cheers

Adam Yates >