Re: Segnosauria vs. Therizinosauria

In a message dated 4/6/00 3:10:11 PM EST, tholtz@geol.umd.edu writes:

<< Also, be warned: the "-oidea" is *NOT* always used with the superfamily
 group.  It has been applied to Phyla (Molluscoidea, the old name for a
 phylum joining bryozoans and brachiopods), Classes (Echinoidea,
 Holothuroidea, Asteroidea, Crinoidea, etc.), Subclasses (Ammonoidea,
 Nautiloidea, Coleoidea), Orders (Graptiloidea, Dendroidea), and possibly
 infraorders and such: can't recall any at the moment. >>

Among archosaurs, Pterodactyloidea and Rhamphorhynchoidea are commonly used
as suborders of Pterosauria. This suffix confusion prompted me to alter the
names to Pterodactyloidia and Rhamphorhynchoidia: an easy change I would
recommend to be followed wherever the problem arises in zoological
nomenclature of suprafamilial taxa.