"Therizinosauria"

  To Mike, George, and the list:

  I am to understand that simply naming a taxon and
listing a membership is all that is neccessary for
validating a taxon, at least above the "family" group,
in either ICZN or PT? Russell (1997), in the
Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs [Padian and Currie, eds.],
did indeed name the Therizinosauria; but first usage I
can find of the colloquial term "therizinosaurs" goes
to Maryanska (1997), in The Complete Dinosaur [Farlow
and Brett-Surman, eds.], and of the term
"therizinosaur" goes to Barsbold (1976), in _Trudy_.
[The title of the paper literally translates to "New
data on the therizinosaur (Therizinosauridae,
Theropoda)."] "The therizinosaur" [*tyerizinozavrye*]
does not translate, as commonly applied, as
*Therizinosaurus* and colloquial usage of generic
names in the Mongolian papers commonly followed this
pattern, such as "the ingeniine," "the velociraptor,"
etc. in papers by Barsbold, Perle, Maleev, etc.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.
Check back soon.