Re: Bambiraptor feinbergi

Dinogeorge wrote:

<< I think a lot of taxonomists, and other scientists as well, would
disagree. I
 certainly disagree. On both points. >>

>>Why?<<

Because taxonomy, like morphology, ecology, physiology, stratigraphy, and so
forth, is a tool for organizing and understanding data, and matters of
nomenclature are a critical part of that tool. Which is why we have rules,
the written kind that the ICZN manages, and the unwritten kind, that ought to
be almost as important. Nomenclature isn't something inconvenient to be
quickly dispensed with, an inconvenient prologue to some part of biology that
you might personally happen to find more interesting. The naming of a new
dinosaur may be a relatively simple matter, but it should still be handled as
rigorously and thoughtfully (and respectfully) as the study of its evolution
or habits.

But then I've never found anything tedious about taxonomy. Quite the
opposite. One person's "tedium" is another's fascination.

Caitlin R. Kiernan (who freely admits to finding the BULLETIN OF ZOOLOGICAL
NOMENCLATURE almost as fascinating as JVP, and has been known to read the
etymological portion of a type description first)