Re: DINOSAUR digest 1347

In a message dated 4/8/00 2:52:25 PM EST, mwhite@houston.rr.com writes:

<< If it lacks dignity -- well, so do I: every
 darned time I stumble over something like "arctometatarsalia" (which is
 really confusing since the meaning is potentially different, depending on
 whether 'arcto-' is translated as a Greek or Latin root)  >>

Best choice of name would probably have been Stenometatarsalia (from "narrow
metatarsals"), since all the roots are Greek. Also Steinometatarsalia (from
"confined, squeezed metatarsals"; the -ei- is, I believe, not a
diphthong--the two vowels are pronounced separately). Other Greek prefixes
are also possible.