Re: Bambiraptor feinbergi

In a message dated 4/8/00 7:05:30 PM EST, KiernanCR@aol.com writes:

<< Because taxonomy, like morphology, ecology, physiology, stratigraphy, and
so
 forth, is a tool for organizing and understanding data, and matters of
 nomenclature are a critical part of that tool. Which is why we have rules,
 the written kind that the ICZN manages, and the unwritten kind, that ought
 be almost as important. Nomenclature isn't something inconvenient to be
 quickly dispensed with, an inconvenient prologue to some part of biology
that
 you might personally happen to find more interesting. The naming of a new
 dinosaur may be a relatively simple matter, but it should still be handled
as
 rigorously and thoughtfully (and respectfully) as the study of its evolution
 or habits. >>

Don't see how this follows. If naming dinosaurs is fun, why shouldn't we have
a few humorous names every now and then? I don't think Bambiraptor is all
that bad a name; at least it's short and easily pronounceable. (You'd go nuts
with some of the names we mathematicians have been bandying about for
four-dimensional figures, such as "quit sissid," "srico," "stepdady," and
"icannixady." If you try for the usual Greekish names such "dodecahedron" and
"icosahedron," the corresponding names of 4D figures get >miles< long, e.g.,
"small prismatohexacosihecatonicosachoron" [one of the simpler ones].)