Dinosaur TV Week

Here are some highlights of U.S. national television
programming concerning dinosaurs, other prehistoric
animals, and the scientific discussion of evolution,
from high art to low trash and (theoretically) back
again, all times Eastern (check local listings to
confirm):

Monday, April 10

PBS (check local listings for time; day may vary)
Reading Rainbow
"Digging up Dinosaurs"
My listing doesn't say so, but this is presumably a
reading of the book.

Tuesday, April 11

PBS, 8:00pm (time and day may vary)
Life Beyond Earth
"Are We Alone?"
Evolution of life here and beyond.

Saturday, April 15

The Discovery Channel, 9:00am-Noon
Bonehead Detectives of the Paleoworld
Kid's show about paleontology.  Special expanded
programming.  Episodes: "The Headless Dinosaur;" "The
New Monsters in Town;" "The Dino Clones;" "T-Rex (sic)
the Destroyer;" "Dino Tanks;" "Attack of the Sea
Monsters."

The Discovery Channel, 9:00pm (rebroadcast 1:00am)
Resurrecting the Mammoth
Scientist attempts to clone mammoth.

The Travel Channel, 10:00pm (rebroadcast 1:00am)
The Trailblazers
"Mongolia"
Includes segment on dinosaur eggs.

Sunday, April 16

The Discovery Channel, 9:00am-Noon
Bonehead Detectives of the Paleoworld
Kid's show about paleontology.  Special expanded
programming.  Episodes: "The Dinosaur Genius;" "The
Terrible Gorgons;" "Dino Killers;" "Reptile in the
Family;" "The Dino Diner;" "Mystery of the
Neanderthals."

The Discovery channel, 7:00pm-10:00pm
Walking With Dinosaurs
Extensive computer imaging, animatronics and living
animals are used to depict dinosaurs lives, Triassic
to Cretaceous, in the manner of a program like NATURE.
 As this was the goal of the producers, the program is
not full of the "perhapses" and "maybes" that
(sometimes) characterize programs about extinct
animals.  A lot of speculation (some, apparently,
quite fanciful) is presented as fact, but the aim,
depicting dinosaurs as living creatures rather than as
puzzles, is a good one.  The imagery, from the
previews I've seen, is pretty impressive, although the
_T. rex_ has a funny face.  This is probably a
must-see for list members.  The rebroadcast at 10:00pm
is reputed to be two hours long; this may be a typo on
the part of my electronic database, or it may not be
all of the episodes. Over a year ago, I posted a joke
listing describing just this kind of program, and
commented that we'd never see something like this on
television.  Thank you, BBC.

Buy a high-quality videotape.

=====
Larry