Re: DINOSAUR digest 1347

Dinogeorge@aol.com writes:

> Best choice of name would probably have been Stenometatarsalia (from
"narrow

>  metatarsals"), since all the roots are Greek. Also Steinometatarsalia
(from
>  "confined, squeezed metatarsals"; the -ei- is, I believe, not a
>  diphthong--the two vowels are pronounced separately). Other Greek prefixes
>  are also possible.

"ei" is a spurious diphthong: it was actually a single vowel, pronounced as a
long, closed "e" [sort of like "way"], as opposed to the open "e" [like
"bet", but long] represented by eta.  By late Classical times the
pronunciation of "ei" had shifted to a long "i" [as in "key"].

In the interest of simplicity, I probably would have gone with Stenopoda
"narrow feet" or Stenotarsi, since (as I just learned myself) Greek "tarso's"
properly refers to the flat of the foot, rather than the ankle.

--Nick P.