Re: Therizinosauroid apomorphies

In a message dated 4/8/00 11:05:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
nrlongri@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

> I'm not sure why there seems
>  to be this big consensus that  Sinosauropteryx is a coelurosaur at all,
>  unless it's because it fits our prejudices by being small and fuzzy- there
>  seems to be nothing to prevent Sinosauropteryx as now known from being near
>  allosaurs- or even lower down in the tree, along with the spinosaurs and
>  torvosaurs?

Others out there may be able to give you some better characters, but the
pelvis of _Sinosauropteryx_, at least, is typically coelurosaurian (short
ischium, triangular obturator prong) and unlike those of carnosaurs and basal
tetanurans.

--Nick Pharris