Re: Bambiraptor

In a message dated 4/10/00 3:36:29 AM EST, KiernanCR@aol.com writes:

<< No one (at least no one I've read) has written here that the species name
is
 problematic. It isn't. _feinbergi_ is a fair and scientifically appropriate
 tribute to the boy who discovered the skeleton. But, as far as I can tell,
 Bambi played no role in the recovery of this fossil and so deserves no
credit. >>

The species name >is< problematic! As I wrote before, and, now that I have an
actual copy of the paper, I do verify, the species epithet honors two
persons, Ann and Michael Feinberg, and must therefore be spelled
_feinbergorum_ according to ICZN rules.

Regarding the root Bambi, the paper nowhere mentions the Disney movie or the
Salten book, saying only that this was a nickname given to the fossil about
the time it was discovered that is being incorporated into the formal name.