Re: how to get theses

mickey_mortimer@email.msn.com asked:

> I was wondering what one has to do to get unpublished theses of
> paleontologists, if it's allowed at all.  People are often saying
> "according to the unpublished thesis of ...." and usually it's
> pretty interesting sounding information.  Can you just call the
> person up and ask them for a copy?

That's one way to do it.  Another way is to contact that archive at
the University of Michigan.  They try to keep a copy of every
Ph.D. thesis (they don't have them all, but I think they do have about
a million buttloads of them).  Their reproductions of older theses
aren't that great from what I hear, but it's better than nothing
(three years ago it looks like they cost $12 a piece, so keep in mind
that these could add up to real money if you wanted to make a habit of
it).  This address is a few years old, but you might try it (or poke
around www.umich.edu for more information): mits.mail@umich.edu

Actually in looking over my files, I see that U of M didn't have the
thesis I was looking for three years ago, but Janet Ryan (who wrote
from the address I just gave) said she could get it for me for a
little under $40.  Therefore, even if they don't have the thesis they
might be able to get it to you for an additional charge.

Hope that helps,

--
Mickey Rowe     (rowe@psych.ucsb.edu)