Re: Monotremes (Re: Walking With Dinosaurs Skin TExtures)

In a message dated 4/12/00 5:33:17 PM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

<< _Steropodon_ certainly appears to be more closely related to modern
 platypuses than to the echidnas (spiny anteaters), although _Steropodon_ is
 distinct enough to be placed in a family (Steropodontidae) separate from the
 platypus (Ornithorhynchidae). >>

This gave me a chance to check out my new copy (published 1999 in paperback,
1997 in hardcover) of "Classification of Mammals," by McKenna & Bell. They
list _Steropodon_ within Ornithorhynchidae and do not have a Steropodontidae
at all. So the latter family is, I presume, very recently created. (Am quite
new to mammals; after all, I'm Dinogeorge, not Mammogeorge.) Sigh. Out of
date on the very first try.