Re: Bambiraptor the Magnificent

Some other (as yet unmentioned) fictional birds:
1.    Pingu - a small plasticine penguin from the BBC - suggestions,
Pingudactyl
2.    The stork from Dumbo if you'd prefer a Disney example, also
3.    The seagull from both "The Rescuers" and "The Little Mermaid" (swear
it was the same actor)
4.    Sam the American bald Eagle from The Muppet Show (Since this bird is
my namesake I have scheming reasons to wish someone would name a dino after
it)
5.    Tweetie pie (someone mention this already?)
6.    Roadrunner - Ooh it'd be so gratifying if this little swine were named
after something well and truly dead!
7.    "Wol" - Owl from the Winnie the Pooh stories

In all seriousness though, kudos to Tracy for pointing out that B.
feinbergi/orum was named after the italian, but doesn't this demonstrate the
problem for those who would shy away from naming things after pop fiction -
both scientists and namers of fictional characters, name things in much the
same way:  "let's give this creature a name that has a contextual meaning,
makes sense, makes it appealing to the public, has sentimental value for us,
etc..."

I'm surprised there aren't more cross-overs.

Yours sincerely,
                         Sam