STEROPODON

George wrote...

> [McKenna & Bell list] _Steropodon_ within Ornithorhynchidae and
> do not have a Steropodontidae at all. So the latter family is, I
> presume, very recently created.

If memory serves, the Steropodontidae was erected way back when
_Steropodon_ itself was formally named (Archer et al. 1985) -
McKenna and Bell regard this family name as a junior synonym of
Ornithorhynchidae. I may be wrong as I do not have the paper to hand,
however.

There is stuff in the DML archives about _Steropodon_  and the other
Lighting Ridge mammal, _Kollikodon_ (=_Hotcrossbunodon_). In
fact, let me take this opportunity to suggest that, if you have a query
about a specific genus or group, check the archives first. Many topics
covered on this list have been discussed before.

ARCHER, M., FLANNERY, T.F., RITCHIE, A. & MOLNAR, R.E.
1985. First Mesozoic mammal from Australia - an early Cretaceous
monotreme. _Nature_ 318: 363-366.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
P01 3QL                               [COMING SOON:
http://www.naish-zoology.com]