Re: State Fossils

North Carolina is indeed one of the wayward few without a state fossil.  I
am pushing for this to change.  Some candidates include
-Acrocanthosaurus atokensis (a carpetbagger of sorts)
-Eremotherium sp.nov. to be named soon (our new ground sloth up in the
recently opened museum)
-Pteridinium carolinense (the Ediacara-like vendobiont)

Do not hold your breath for rapid developments on this front.

Yours
Jeff.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Steve  Brusatte wrote:

> Hey,
> As some of you loyal Fossil News readers may know, I have begun a lengthy
> project on state fossils.  About 40 states have designated official 'state
> fossils,' including a bunch of dinosaurs and a whole lot of oddball stuff
> like rare corals, crinoids, brachiopods, petrified wood, fish, footprints,
> plants, sea scorpions, and my favorite, Illinois' Tully Monster.
>
> My question is this: several states do not have official state fossils (as
> far as I know). These states are: Arkansas, Hawaii, Kansas, Indiana, Iowa,
> Michigan, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Oregon, New H ampshire, North Carolina, Rhode
> Island, and South Carolina. Do any of you know of official state fossils of
> these states, and if so, could you please pass them along to me?  Thanks a
> lot!
>
> Steve
> ---
> Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
> SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob
> ONLINE CLUB: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/thedinolanddinosaurdigsite
> WEBRING: http://home.wanadoo.nl/dinodata.net/
> INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE SITE:
> http://www.geocities.com/stegob/international.html
>

> Send FREE April Fool's Greetings to your friends!
> http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/American_Greetings.rdct

Jeffrey Alan Bartlett
Paleoecology Group
North Carolina State University