Re: Udanoceratops

dbensen wrote:
> Udanoceratops _is_
> the largest of the bipedal ceratopsians and a partially aquatic lifestyle
> could
> explain the gigantism.

I just saw a documentary on hippos last night, and their general body plan
reminded me of ceratopians. Plus, here you have a muli-tonne animal that can run
quite nicely - perhaps suggesting that ceratopians were also capable of a fast
trot (although I'm not sure about a flat-out suspended-phase gallop). But all
this is really besides the point, since I actually had another question:

Has it been conclussively proved that there WERE any bipedal neoceratopians? It
strikes me that if we only knew rabbits, giant elephant shrews, and just about
any species of dragon lizard by fossil evidence alone, the disparity between
fore and hind limb lengths might tempt us to reconstruct them as bipeds. I'm no
ceratopian expert (not even close), but it strikes me that any species over
about a metre long would probably have been mostly quadrapedal, especially given
the size (and probable weight) of the head. Also, I read in an old Leptoceratops
paper (a few decades old) that most bipeds are characterised by curved femora.
Are there any neoceratopians that don't have straight femora?

        Dann Pigdon
        GIS Archaeologist
        Melbourne, Australia

        Australian Dinosaurs: