Re: WWD non-dino questions

I hope these eMails helps a little bit.

On January 24, 2000 Dave Unwin wrote to VrtPaleo Mail List:

>Ornithocheirus: 12m wingspan, 100 kilos weight,  the same as in
>Quetzalcoatlus (BTW the animal shown seems not Ornithocheirus, but much
>more Criorhynchus or Tropeognathus)

The 12 m wingspan and 100 kilos weight are based on absolutely top end
estimates for some very large bits of bone from the Santana Formation that
Dave Martill and I are studying. I really doubt the individual we have
actually reached this size, but give programme makers a choice and,
understandably, they will opt for the most spectacular measure on offer.

I suspect that Criorhynchus and Tropeognathus are the same thing - indeed
this is likely to be published on shortly. In addition, I can show that
Criorhynchus is the same thing as Ornithocheirus, though you will have to
wait a bit longer for a publication on this. However, thats the reason why
the big beastie in Walking With Dinosaurs is called Ornithocheirus and looks
like Criorhynchus/Tropeognathus.
<<

On October 12, 1999 Darren Naish wrote to DML

_Liopleurodon_ in the same episode is a ridiculous 25 m long.. yes, 25 m. Not
even Dave Martill thinks they were that big (joke Dave:)). I think the WWD
makers must have taken the maximum size, and then added about 20% (either
that or they heard the measurement wrong).
<<

Cheers

Heinz Peter Bredow