Re: D-SHAPED TEETH

>Nick Pharris wrote:
>
>>_Indosuchus_ has D-shaped premax teeth (though I suppose the Tendaguru is a
>>little early to be looking for abelisaurs).
>
>Maybe not.  According to Phil Currie, _Piatnitzkysaurus_ is an abelisaur.
>(I still have it pegged as a basal tetanurine though.)

I'll second you on that one. In particular, I'd guess it's either
megalosaur-grade if not actually Megalosauridae (yes, I think there
actually probably is such a thing...). It's got some sort of abelisaur-like
features, like squarish cervical articular faces, an ischial boot and
stalked parapophyses, but the parapophyses are totally wrong and the large
ischial boot is fairly typical of megalosaurs and spinosaurs- and it's not
triangular like an abelisaur's.
        Looks like it would have had a fairly large tetanure-style
ascending process, and the maxilla looks surprisingly like Megalosaurus or
Torvosaurus, for example. Plus, the axis is dorsally flared, unlike
Ceratosaurus/Carnotaurus, and it doesn't have that huge semicircular shape
to the neural spine. It looks more or less like an axis off of an allosaur,
megalosaur, or spinosaur.