From:   Charles Powell [SMTP:cpowell@mojave.wr.usgs.gov]
Sent:   Monday, April 17, 2000 2:46 PM
To:     paleonet@ucmp1.berkeley.edu
Subject:        paleonet Apatosaurus

Folks,

I've been given a few questions from the USGS's Ask-a-geologists service
and they are beyond my abilities as a molluscan paleontologists.  If anyone
can help me with these questions I'd appreciate it.  Please e-mail me
privately.

1.  I have read that Apatosaurus could reach lengths of  69 feet, but how
big were its footprints?

2.  Did Apatosaurus make a sound (growl, hiss,  roar)?

3.  I have read that Apatosaurus would lay a dozen eggs  at a time.  Did
they only lay a dozen in a nest per year, or would they  have several
nests?

4.  How many of the young Apatosaurus would  survive?

5.  How many years before a baby Apatosaurus would become  full grown?

6.  Overall, how many types of Saurapods  existed?

Best,

Chuck

Charles L. Powell, II                           Phone:  650-329-4985
Western Regional Mapping Team, MS 975           E-mail:  cpowell@usgs.gov
U. S. Geological Survey
345 Middlefield Road
Menlo Park, CA  94025