Re: Florida and fingers

You can find the entire article as Wagner & Gauthier (1999)...VERY intriguing stuff; should have implications for a wide range of paleo and embryological problems.

I agree that it's a fascinating paper, and yes, has great potential. However, the paper neither cites, nor can I think of, any actual evolutionary (i.e., not produced by embryological manipulation in the lab) examples of the kinds of "frame shifts" he proposes as the mechanism for the digital axial move. We must be careful to note that the frame shift mechanism is ideal _in_theory_, but I suspect it'll be awhile longer before we see if it works (has worked!) in nature.

                _,_

                     Jerry D. Harris
                 Fossil Preparation Lab
          New Mexico Museum of Natural History