Re: strange question

Bert Dol wrote:
" Last night I was just thinking and wondering about the differences between
various kinds of animals and their energy needs. Ofcourse I also ended up
thinking about dinosaurs....I need an answer to the next question:
 - do coldblooded animals need the same amount of sleep/rest as warmblooded
animals do? Or more? Or less? And why?"
Before we can answer this question we need to know the fundamental differences
between resting and sleeping. Unfortunatly I do not have the answer to this
question, ofcourse there are differences between various species of animals but
at general I think
when you are sleeping you are only using the vital systems for breathing and
perhaps subconscience movements of sertain limbs. When you're resting you are
more active, listening and scanning the area around you. Perhaps sertain areas
of the braincase can
tell us more about this, is there any research done on dinosaur brain cases
which can help us wich this topic?
futhermore it's very interesting in our research on dinosaurs to conclude if
they where active creatures or not. The general idea (at least I think so) is
that cold blooded animals rest more than warm-blooded animals. If we look at
crocodiles they are
always pictured as animals resting on the banks of the river, loading their
batteries and then go and hunt (simply said ofcourse). Now the same thing can
ofcourse be said about warm-blooded animals but because they're methabolism is
much higher they have
to eat more food and thus move around more so you should think they need more
rest.....hmm getting very difficult here.
hope someone could jump in this little debate and perhaps give us a better view
on how active dinosaurs where and, cold-blooded or warm-blooded let an active
life.

Anton Eissens
Philips Semiconductors bv
Innovation & Engineering Group (IEG)