Re: Nesting with Dinosaurs.

> So, for a final piece of speculation, I propose a sequence for this (in
> North America, at least).  Mammals (in cahoots with birds) reach some
> behavioral threshold in small dinosaur niche and drive them into
> extinction.  Once these mini-tyrants are gone, selection on small
> size of mammals (for stealth) has been relaxed.  Mammal size can increase
> to the point that they can handle bigger eggs.

Dinosaurs retaliate by building "super-nest"; monstrous nest to hold all
eggs of all dinosaurs worldwide.  Innovative plan will "put all our eggs
in one basket," say excited dinosaurs.

Chicxulub wins super-nest contract, narrowly beating Texas.

Due to poor planning by pin-headed dinos, super-nest flops: poor
ventilation causes eggs to rot, cataclysmic methane release drives many
dinosaurs to brink of extinction.

Now desperate, surviving dinos reluctantly ally with silicon-based
lifeforms, "tektite" invasion begins.

Brainy mammals develop iridium bomb, successfully repulse tektite
invasion.  Fallout from Tektite War accelerates dinosaur decline.

Last handful of racially senescent dinosaurs begins ill-fated search for
"Great Valley," mysteriously vanish.  Conflicting eyewitness reports put
dinosaur expedition near Mountains That Burn, Congo, Lock Ness.

General dearth of terrestrial vertebrates over 10 kg played down by
victorious mammals.  Newly elected Bubbaconodon reaches out to
depauperate faunas, promises "balanced ecosystems by the Eocene."

;)

Seriously, though, if egg-eating (ovivory?) by mammals was a significant
factor in the extinction of dinosaurs, shouldn't the dinos have died out
at, like, the end of the Triassic?  If not, why not?

Matt Wedel