Re: Dinosaur heart found?

In a message dated 4/21/00 1:14:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
nrlongri@midway.uchicago.edu writes:

> Similarly, (unossified) sternal ribs are present in
>  lizards, and people, but I've never heard of ossified sternal ribs in an
>  ornithopod so I assume these are unossified and again they're primitive as
>  far down as amniota or something.

Yes, but GSP has argued in the past that the *form* of the ribs and sternal
ribs, in theropods at least, has implications for their respiration and for
the development of the air-sac system.   I was wondering what his (or anyone
else's) take was on the precise shape of the chest revealed by the preserved
sternal ribs.

Nick P.