Re: Brachiosaurus

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Wedel <sauropod@ou.edu>
To: <dinoguy@interlog.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: Brachiosaurus

> > altithorax has certainly improved.  We now have the skull (so I am
told),
> > most of the neck (12 cervicals), 8 dorsals (don't know if any are
> > duplicates), 5 caudals, ribs, scapula, corocoid, humerus, pelvis, and
>
> What vertebrae are these?
>
> As far as North American Brachiosaurus verts are concerned, I know of the
type
> material, the Dry Mesa material, and the supposedly very complete specimen
> that Western Paleo is working on.  So far, only two of the Dry Mesa
cervicals
> have been prepared, a probable C5 (BYU 12866) and a probable C10 (BYU
12867),
> although more are (probably) waiting in the wings.  From what I have
heard,
> the Western Paleo specimen includes a complete cervical series, but I
haven't
> seen the material myself (can you smell the envy?).
>
> If anyone has any further info, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Matt Wedel
> Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
> 2401 Chautauqua Ave.
> Norman, OK 73072
> sauropod@ou.edu
> Hi,

    I actually work for Western Paleontological Labs as the Head Sculptor
for the North American museum of ancient Life Project. Besides doing the
humongous camarasaur and tyrannosaur reliefs that are currently going up on
the East and South sides of the building, I'm in the middle of sculpting 27
different species of  life sized pterosaurs. By the time I'm finished with
my contract a year and a half from now, there will be well over a hundred
pterosaurs hanging from the museum rafters, and I will have been reduced to
a quivering mass screaming "ramphorhynchus, not pterodactyloyd!" at the top
of my lungs in front of the local Dennys.
    With that being said, As far as I know, unless there's a second western
Paleo that I'm unaware of, we are not working on any Brachiosaur material.
BYU has some material, but the only thing that Western is currently doing
that is making the paleo community drool is the prepping and discribing of a
75 percent complete Juvenile Ceratosaurus with a complete skull. Jim
Madsen's outfit Dinolab, out of S.L.C.,  is doing some sort of full sized
Supersaurus composite skeleton for the museum project, but that's just one
more spoke on a gigantic wheel.
    In case any one would like to know, the museums first opening is July
first, this year, with the grand opening a year from then.

Sincerely,

Cliff Green
dinonaut@tacisp.com