[crpntr@ix.netcom.com: ]

> From: crpntr@ix.netcom.com
> Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 09:14:16 -0400 (EDT)
> To: rowe@psych.ucsb.edu
>
> "The problem of the aramdillo model for excavating eggs is that this
> mammal has forarms adapted for digging: large elbow (olecronon) for
> muscles, massive upper arm (humerus) with enlarged muscles, elongated
> claws for digging. None of the mammals from the Mesozoic known to date
> have any of these features.

Armadillos certainly are dependent upon these features.  But a mammal
preying on a dinosaur nest would not be.  Such an animal needs only to
excavated a loose, sandy matrix, or loose vegetation.  Armadillos must
move hard packed soil.  So, I agree that known Mesozoic forms could not
construct a tunnel network beneath a dinosaur nest.  I do, however, feel
they could remove enough nest material to expose eggs and dispatch them in
the manner of armadillos (assuming armadillos merely knock them together).

May I forward any reply to the dino list?