CG fuzz was Re: Walking with Dinosaurs

consider the effort to 'fuzz' CG lemurs as something that took >about<
20 years from the inception of CG in films to be done succesfully enough
to be believable (go Stuart Little! WET fur woohooo!).

The first film use of a CG 'fur' implemenation was in THE FLINTSTONES
and was used on the Rubble's sabertooth tiger that chases around with
Dino.  Fur is a LOT easier for a computer than feathers.

Feathers are DAMN hard to make as a procedural bit of code that the
conputer keeps track of for you (as is done in the case of CG fur).  Up
to now CG feathers have been done either badly as a modification of CG
fur procedural codes, OR are done by hand by an animator/modeller or
group of animator modellers and never enough time can be devoted to
it....

The CG dinobirds in LIFE OF BIRDS were hand-feathered in a lengthy
process by a modeller.

-Betty

--
Flying Goat Graphics