Aspeces, Faces, and Views

  Okay, what's the differences for all you
nomenclature buffs out there? I've seen the term
"aspect" more conventionally applied (and more
applicable to its definition) to the view one looks at
at any particular specimen when one knows the
orientation (e.g., "the skull of *Torosaurus* is
subtriangular in dorsal _aspect_") but have also seen
the term used in such a manner: "the dorsal _aspect_
bears a multitude of longitudinal, rugose crests..."
[don't quote me on these uses, they're mine and just
for examples]. Similarly, the term "view" has been
used for both, but more for the first than for the
second, and the term "face" more for the second than
for the first. Can I ask for a clarification on the
terminology here?

  Until then, I will use "face" for a surface, a
"view" and "aspect" when one intends to view a
direction, rather than apply to a particular feature
or region [= aspect (Fr.?), from Latin _aspectis_
"looked at" > _ad_ + _spectio_, "to look at"; whereas
face > _facetus_ Latin "a face of, side, etc." -- the
latter is specific, the former general, so...]

  Anyway, any help would be gratefully recieved.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.
Check back soon.