Re: Archaeoraptor horizon

GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> Is "Archaeoraptor" from the lower Yixian (=Chaomidianzi) Formation?
>
> Greg Paul

I think it is supposed to be...however, how are we supposed to prove
it??????
maybe if we did some Rare-Earth elemental analyses using a Yixian
Formation standard; other than that we do what we always do: speculate.

Yixian.  The basis on which the Chaomidianzi Formation was designated
has no validity according to the International Strat Code.  It is hard
to argue a new formation out of the bottom of the Yixian when there is
no lithologic change to support it.

--
Josh Smith
University of Pennsylvania