Deja vu

I read this in the Dec. 1999 Scientific American's Discovering Archeology
Magazine.  There were several authors debating the Monte Verde site in
Chile, which is in the center of the controversy on when and how the "First
Americans" arrived in the New World.  I quote from Dr. Frederick West of the
Peabody Essex Museum, Salem MA:
"Finally, I would like to suggest that from the outset, the Monte Verde
problems were unfortunately compounded by its being treated as a piece of
news rather than science.  To that I shall add that while not unusual, the
contribution from Natural Geographic to this controversy is less than
helpful."