Re: DINOSAUR digest 1367

> Subject: I wonder why mammals and birds don't reach sizes characteristic of
> greatest dinosaurs
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 14:09:38 EET DST
> From: "Henri Rönkkö" <overmind@iobox.fi>
> To: saursThu@spool.iobox.fi, 27 Apr 2000 14:09:38.EET.DST@spool.iobox.fi
>
> It has been proposed that the fast metabolism of these animals would create
> too much heat. However, we do suppose dinosaurs were warm-blooded,
don't we?
> ----
> Soittoäänet ja ikonit matkapuhelimeen!  http://www.iobox.fi/
> Well: the brontotheres were pretty thumping huge, if not quite
sauropodian....

Perhaps a faster metabolism precluded really huge forms in the herbivores
because no natural environment could carry 'em over a sustained period
(it's still hard to believe that the unregulated metabolisms of sauropods
could find enough to eat; but obviously they must'ave); & without
superhuge herbivores, there was no ecological niche for a carnivorous
equivalent.

Just a guess.

All the best,

Robert Clements <Robert.Clements@dva.gov.au>